Friday, May 25, 2007

Size Matters...

Hi sock pal. I know that "everybody says" size doesn't matter, it's all what you do with it - but I think in this case, what "everybody says" is a bunch of hooey!

You see, I'm knitting you knee socks, and it's the first pair of knee socks I've ever knitted, and I'm kinda-sorta making the plain-jane pattern up with math and gauge and your measurements as I go along. Oh, and it's handspun too, so that adds an additional wrinkle.

This is the third (or is it fourth) time I knitted a bit, got angsty about size, ripped it out and tried again. So far - well, you can see for yourself. The gauge/stitches per inch match up math-wise with your measurements, but I'm still worried because my own leg measurements are about 1.5 - 2 inches larger than yours in calf and under the knee, and this socks fits me - it's a really snug fit, but it does fit. Should I start over again?


What do ya'll think? Am I alright with what I've got? I keep telling myself "it's better to be too big than to be too small". The yarn is a 14 wpi two-ply superwash merino (Sock Hop from Crown Mountain Farms in "I Got You Babe") knitted on a size 1 lace Addis with the magic loop method.

Soon I'm going to have to start figuring out what kind of heel to use... oy!

14 comments:

Rosemary said...

OMGosh that's pretty!!

strikkegal said...

ooooh... jummy colors and love the look of the yarn... I agree, too big is much better than too small! I soon need to figure out where to go next on the socks/kneehighs I'm knitting!

Seanna Lea said...

As long as it is tight on you and not loose, I think you are good to keep on trucking with the sock! It is wonderful!

mathiemom said...

You don't want it so big that it's falling down around her ankles, so if you know she's smaller than you it sounds like you're there to me. Go for it!

Lurvely socks, beautiful yarn!

Unknown said...

OMG, those are soooo pretty! I hope you are MY pal!! I did say I liked knee highs and fall colors! LOL :)

s b said...

wow--pretty pretty yarn! Lay the sock flat and measure the diameter across. Multiply the diameter by 2 to get the circumference. You want the circumference of the sock to be a little (half an inch to one inch) smaller than the circumference of your pal's leg. Knitting stretches, so a litte small is better than a little big. A little small will stretch to fit, whereas a little big will stretch to be falling down around the ankles. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Drool - Sock Hop Yarn - I love that yarn!!!

alison said...

That yarn is awesome!

Saffron said...

It's so cool that you're using handspun. I don't have any advice about sizing, but I think they look great!!!!

Sarah said...

gorgeous yarn! I would hate knee socks to be tight, too loose would be fine as long as they stay up. Do you know anyone who could try them on for size?

I'm making knee socks too, also my first pair.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I think it's too soon to tell about tightness because there will be more give with less length--the stretching as you try it on takes up more than it could if there were the lower areas pulling down. I do agree with s b regarding size, though. Tighter is better in a sock.

S said...

Oh god I hope those are mine! haha I say that a lot, but I love knee socks and I love stripes and oooooo.

HPNY KNITS said...

wow- love that!

knitphomaniac said...

that's some awesome yarn!